Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck

2010-05-20 09:09:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:08:50 -0400
Jeff - I am pretty sure that there should be synchronizing of the expiration
date within RMAN and NetBackup - although the expiration of images within RMAN
is handled here by our DBA group. Our process is to backup the control file
right after the RMAN backup and our restore process starts with restoring that
control file.

I know how to "un-expire" or extend the expiration date of NetBackup images,
but I do not know how we would accomplish that within the RMAN control file.

We use an 8 week retention period here and have never had issues recovering
data, beyond the frustrating part of sometimes being unable to determine what
tapes are needed until we try to restore and it asks for an unexpected tape...