Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware clients

2010-05-14 08:23:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VMware clients
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 07:22:13 -0500
On 5/13/2010 4:05 PM, Victor Engle wrote:
> Just wondered if anyone could discuss the best options for backing up
> VMs running on ESX 3.5 and 4.0 systems? What are the pros and cons and
> which methods allow for file level restores for the VM. My backup
> server is solaris.
>
> Thanks,
> Vic

I am waiting until we get our infrastructure to vSphere 4.0 and NBU 7 to
do vStorage backups which seem to be da bomb digity. All the ducks just
got lined up in a row for this just recently, but I'll still wait until
June to make sure nothing comes out in the field from other people.
DataDomain's DDBoost just came out which is their new OST plugin which
supports NBU 7. It also does some media server side de-duplication
processing which I am hoping leads the way to global de-dupe and client
side de-dupe.