Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN 11.2 and Netbackup bug

2010-05-10 16:58:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN 11.2 and Netbackup bug
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:58:27 -0500
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com> wrote:
A coworker is doing testing with RMAN/Oracle 11.2 and Netbackup 5.1MP6.
She came across a bug that exists in NBU6.5 so I'm going to guess it
exists in 5.1 as well. The bug is here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337527.htm -- I'm going to
assume this is and will remain unfixed in 5.1 and  is specific to Oracle
11.2 support, which doesn't sound like it exists even in 6.5 or 7 yet.
I'm just trying to put together information for management.

Patches are available for NBU 6.5.4 (and we're running them here) and 6.5.5.   I would not be surprised if they're in 6.5.6 which was just released - you can check online if you're interested.  If you re-read the article you posted, you'll see the links to the binaries for support in 6.5.4 and 6.5.5 there.

The message to your management should be that you your NetBackup installation needs to be relatively close to the newest operating system or application release that it needs to support.   If you want to run database agents on the new versions of the applications, whether it's Oracle, Exchange, or whatever, you're going to have keep NetBackup current.

This isn't a case of NetBackup having bugs - it's the impossibility of supporting a release of an application that wasn't available at the time NetBackup was released. Oracle 11g R2 is fairly current.  NetBackup 5.1 is 3 MAJOR revisions old and is well beyond its End Of Life.

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org