Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Retention

2010-05-07 12:47:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Retention
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:47:17 -0600
The tape is protected until all data on a tape is expired.  If you
write 1 gig to a tape and protect it for 2 years, then write 400 gig
to the same tape with 1 month protection, that tape will not expire
for 2 years.  This can cause you to run out of tapes because they are
not expiring.  If you keep one pool for the 2 year retention and 1
pool for the 1 month retention, the 1 month tapes will expire and go
back to the scratch pool much faster.

If you segregate the tapes into different pools for different
retentions, this really shouldn't matter.  If your fulls are kept for
4 months and incrementals for 3, it's not that big of a deal.

Jeff

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:43 AM, faltird
<netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> i'm newbie...
> I want to ask about 'allow multiple retention'.
>
> What is the function of this future?

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator
4380 Ziegler Road