Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Changing backup retention periods

2010-04-29 17:49:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Changing backup retention periods
From: "Brian J. Greenberg" <brian AT gsysd DOT com>
To: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:34:30 -0500
Hi Mark,

I've seen a lot of companies use this method and for some it kinda works but they tend to run into legal and administration problems.  Usually, they end up with a "Legal" pool with hundreds or thousands of tapes in it and don't know which ones they can purge nor who put them there.  All those tapes then are discoverable in a lawsuit exposing the company to a lot of risk.  Additionally, ensuring that the images don't expire before the legal matter goes away becomes a problem too, and any time a legal matter does go away, it's hard to know what images can be reset to their original expiration date, what it was and what images might be needed by another legal matter.

Data Manager solves these problems by maintaining a database that maintains the original expiration date of the images, what legal holds they are in, if they are shared between multiple legal holds (called cascading legal holds), who created the legal hold and when and has the ability to release the data back to their original expiration dates without effecting data that's shared in another legal hold.  DM also provides you with a report you can present to the lawyers and the courts showing that you preserved the data as well as a running financial impact report it's having on your company.

Brian J. Greenberg
bjg AT acm DOT org
http://briangreenberg.net
312.242.1840