Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Migration.

2010-04-28 18:08:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Migration.
From: "Nardello, John" <john.nardello AT cgi DOT com>
To: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, <ulises.rodriguez AT wallst DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:08:22 -0400
Consider this a posting then Ed. =)

Did several Windows 2003 to Solaris 10 migrations at my old employer of huge (1+ TB) NetBackup 6.5.x Masters, including keeping the catalog info and changing the hostnames. Spent a few weeks with rsync copying stuff from the Windows Master to a new Solaris server, then transferred the EMM database and the rest of the required files over the day-of.

It's complex, and you'd better do everything in the right order, but it's possible. If you can't do it yourself now, frankly I'd recommend paying Symantec Consulting the $20k to do your first one for you and taking notes the entire time. =) Then you can see whether you want to do subsequent migrations yourself or keep paying.

Our notes write-up of our first migration ran about 7 pages.

Oh, and NB 6.5 doesn't care about the image files anymore as far as the old ^M problem goes, it'll read them just fine post-transfer; the only ../db/images/ files you have to convert are the STREAMS files. Other normal config files outside of ../db/images/ still have to be converted of course. And yes, that was straight from the Consulting guy and it proved out in test restores.

Good luck !
- John Nardello