Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Type de stockage pour données dédupliquées

2010-04-06 13:17:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Type de stockage pour données dédupliquées
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:17:42 -0500
2010/4/6 cpreston <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>

For those interested, the google english translation of the previous post is:

Hello everyone,
I just read the C version (April 1) on deduplication NetBackup 7.0.
It is mentioned that only the DAS or FC is supported (not CIFS, NFS and iSCSI bizare).
Someone has experience on the subject?
I do not really see why the iSCSI protocol does not work.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

I would guess that it has to do with supportability and fear rather than a technical reason why it doesn't work.

After all, there's no reason that you can't put a Sybase database on NFS but Symantec refuses to support it and won't support any part of the catalog or the EMM database on NFS.  With 10GigE these days, iSCSI should be doable.  10GigE will outperform 2Gbps FC...  I can see why NFS or CIFS would have issues - locking, etc - but iSCSI should really not be an issue.

Some days I really, really wish Symantec would update their support documentation to say why something isn't supported.  We don't know if it's because they didn't test it or if they tested it and it failed.  There's a HUGE difference.

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org