Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU7 / De-Dupe?

2010-04-02 09:29:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU7 / De-Dupe?
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:29:00 -0500

These number aren't that hot compared to DataDomain from my use of it.

We are seeing 86TB of backup images occupying 4.4TB of phys disk.

On 4/1/2010 12:07 PM, Jon Bousselot wrote:
I set it up in a small test environment, and started backing up three clients into a deduplication pool exclusively.  2 windows and 1 linux system
The first pass wasn't that impressive, maybe a 5% to 10% de-dup ratio and it took a bit longer than just streaming that same data to tape or disk.
The second pass had a 90% deduplication ratio, mostly because just 1 week had passed since the first full backup and not every file changed.
After three weeks, I had about 300GB of data deduplicated down into about 90GB of disk space.  The kbytes total reported from the catalog said 300G, and df -k said 90G.

The data content of the three systems is typical for a user workstation.  Email, photos, miscellaneous files.  De-dup let me put many versions of those same files into a backup without actually having many copies of that file spinning on disk.

And then the disk holding the de-duplicated data developed a bunch of bad sectors and I lost it all.  Once I rebuild it, I'll check out the DR process for protecting your de-dup database and files.

I also want to test client side de-duplication to see if that helps stream data compared to media server de-duplication alone.  The media/master server is a quad core with 8g ram, and the clients are a desktop and a laptop.  After seeing it run and observing the space savings it generates, I think it is a very creative way to solve some (not all) problems.  It is definitely not a "set it and forget it" technology.  You still need to monitor its utilization similar to how you would monitor basic disk or tape usage.

-Jon