Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU7 / De-Dupe?

2010-04-01 09:30:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU7 / De-Dupe?
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:29:15 -0400
We use Data Domain here (now owned by EMC which also has Avomar).   The
DDs do get really high deduplication ratios and have been fairly stable.
I'd definitely recommend that kind of dedupe (there are different
kinds).   This kind does the dedupe on the DD itself rather than
deduping on your server and pushing it to storage so doesn't have any
more impact on server CPU/memory than going to tape.

Of course you still need to make sure you're planning for offsite
storage as they like any other medium will fill up eventually - we
typically run ours around 90% of capacity even doing dedupe.   DD does
offer the ability to put units at an offsite location and transfer
directly from the onsite ones to the offsite ones but we don't use that
(yet).

On top of everything else restores from the DDs as opposed to tape are
incredibly fast.

You'd want to be sure you look into how you're connecting.   DDs offer
fibre channel but it is an addon cost.