Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Single File Deletion

2010-03-02 09:00:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Single File Deletion
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "McDonald II, James F." <JAMES.F.MCDONALD.II AT saic DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:00:21 -0600
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:44 AM, McDonald II, James F. <JAMES.F.MCDONALD.II AT saic DOT com> wrote:

I was recently informed that someone I work with has had files stored on our file server that should not have been there.  They have since deleted the original files, but the copies that are stored in the NBU images are still on our backup server.  Is it possible to delete individual files from an image created by NBU?  Is it possible to search through all your images for those particular files?

It is not possible, as far as I know, to delete individual files from an image.  If the image was on tape, this would necessitate re-writing the entire tape.

You can certainly use bplist to find all backups of those files but there's not much you can do with that information.

Now you could expire the images that contain those files but that destroys everything else in those images too.

You *might* be able to remove those files from the catalog with some hacking but I'd be contacting Symantec before even attempting that - they'd probably be willing to help for a fee.  That would essentially hide the files unless somebody wanted to import the tape.  You have to decide just how important it is - by putting a pricetag on it - to have those files on your images.

   .../Ed