Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] can't re-use older tapes with new library

2010-02-16 18:23:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] can't re-use older tapes with new library
From: ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:22:59 -0800
LTO3 can only read LTO tapes. It cannot write onto it.

Thanks ,

Ratheesh

"If you win you need not explain...But if you lose you should not be there to explain"

From: zimmy00 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: 02/16/2010 01:55 PM
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

Here is the problem.  Some time ago we upgraded a library from an lto to lto3.  Now they scan differently and I set barcode rules to get the tape numbers to match.  The problem is that the older tapes are showing up as write protected.  I assume this is because the media id and the id that netbackup puts on the tape do not match.  I have tried to use re-label with both gui and command line.  I can't figure out how to get around this one.

p.s.  None of the data on the tapes is needed.  We just don't want to throw away hundreds of LTO tapes.