Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up ASM

2010-02-12 11:08:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up ASM
From: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:08:18 -0600
Question - I have some Oracle DBAs that are backing up their database to
something called a flash recovery area using a technology called ASM.
They tell me I can't capture that data via a standard policy because
Oracle is writing to a raw disk device. Is there a plugin for NetBackup
that allows me to backup a raw device? I haven't used the Flash Backup
software, but I've read about it in the release notes and that sounds
like what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure.

Is anyone else backing up flash recovery to tape? Mind sharing with me
how you do it?

Thanks.

- HKY