Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Any ACSLS experts in the house?

2010-02-07 04:31:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Any ACSLS experts in the house?
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 04:31:20 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Dean wrote:

> Jeez, I haven't worked with a SL8500 - just the old 9310s, but I understand
> the differences. Does it really take up to 1.5 hours to audit an LSM?
> Jeepers! I currently work with a couple of fully loaded ~2000 slot IBM
> TS3500s (or whatever the latest designation is), and I'm sure a full
> physical inventory doesn't take more than 20 minutes. The only have one
> "gripper" too. I've stood there several times and watched the whole process
> through the glass panel and I'm quite sure I couldn't have stood there for
> 1.5 hours. My attention span is not that long.
>
> I can't help with a script or anything to automate what you want to do. But
> you might also want to consider how doing this might affect mount times, if
> that's important to you. Depending on which LSM(s) your drives are in, doing
> this might cause a lot more pass-thrus; the process where a tape gets passed
> from one LSM to another. It was a fairly slow operation, although I'm sure
> it's been improved since the 9310 days.  But I guess you might have to weigh
> up what is more important to you? The time it takes to do a physical
> inventory, or your average mount time.

Hi Dean,

Yes, very good points, I would need to make sure only scratch tapes were moved
to the bottom LSMs to avoid what you noted.

Yes, at least with the older firmware (3.98b), at 4.14 now the top two LSMs
took much longer (~45-90min longer than the bottom two LSMs)

I suppose another way to look at it is when its completely filled, it won't
matter anymore; however, until that occurs it would still be nice to keep
everything balanced.

Thanks for the notes/information!

Justin.