Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup & Blat

2010-02-04 10:30:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup & Blat
From: "Sweeney, Patrick" <Patrick.Sweeney AT axcelis DOT com>
To: tim burlowski <tim.burlowski AT gmail DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:29:51 -0500
I have several scripts for daily monitoring that either call the installed
instance of blat directly or reuse the nbmail.cmd script.

1. A daily status report which details any backups which ended in an error
status, any that are still running at the time of the report, any that are
still running from the previous day, and any that were expected to run, but
have not.

2. A daily report of how many tapes are available in my scratch pool.

3.  Status reports for several backup scripts which coordinate to shut down
services and databases and perform some cleanup tasks, then fire backups, then
monitor for all the relevant backup streams to complete before rebooting
servers or restarting services and databases.  The status reports tell me when
these processes start, when the end of all the streams are detected, and when
all of the restarts are completed.

I like scripting, so I've likely called this other places I am forgetting.
Also, I have scripted batch files for windows for a long time, and consider
blat a very normal tool to have in such processes.  While an SMTP client is a
fairly simple thing, if I need one from a batch file BLAT is my first choice.
(CDO form VBScript or PowerShell, and unfortunately I don't write Perl, so I
can't say.)  If anyone with a copy of Tim Hill's, "Windows NT Shell Scripting,"
on their shelf is complaining about blat's use, I'd consider the complaint, but
outside of that I wouldn't give it much thought.

Blat's license affirms that it can be redistributed or even sold.  Of course it
then confuses this by acknowledging that parts of the source come from other
sources, indicating it may be otherwise encumbered.  In any event, I'd have the
lawyers consider whether it can be redistributed with your product before
writing your own SMTP client.

Patrick Sweeney
 (978) 787-4553
 patrick.sweeney AT axcelis DOT com
 I.T. Systems/Networks

For issues requiring immediate attention please contact the Solution Center
IT Solution Center
 (978) 787-7777
Beverly.Helpdesk AT axcelis DOT com
Axcelis Technologies