Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow backup for MSSQL DB server with man DBs?

2010-01-26 22:58:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow backup for MSSQL DB server with man DBs?
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:58:15 -0600
We have a MSSQL server with ~200 very small databases. This takes a very
long time to backup as each DB spawns a new job that needs to get qued
then start up the media session etc.

We used to back it up with Legato pretty quickly, but now the lag is
quite noticeable and it eats into our maintenance window.

Is there anything we can do to decrease the lost time between backup
jobs for a SQL policy with the $ALLDATABASES target with this many
databases?