Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy Selection for Windows

2010-01-26 03:51:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy Selection for Windows
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: "'Harpreet SINGH'" <harpreet_singh AT ctl.creative DOT com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:51:05 -0500
> Sorry I confused...

No, you're not confused.  You are configuring NetBackup in what
seems the obvious way from your background (we _all_ do this,
whether it's backup or programming or word processing).

> The question is I have about 10 windows clients and each client
> has different mount points to be back-up.
>
> <<
> C:\cygwin
> C:\Inetpub
> C:\net-snmp
> C:\Inetpub
> C:\net-snmp
> C:\PHP
> D:\Program Files
> D:\user_files
> D:\Program Files
> D:\Webroot
> N:\Documents and Settings
> N:\notesdata
> N:\oracle
> N:\Program Files
> E:\Backup
> E:\Inetpub\visa
> E:\Inetpub\wwwroot
> G:\CheetahMailCLA
> G:\CheetahMailExtraction
> G:\CheetahMailUnsubUpdate V2
> >>
> I have  got a new request to backup new clients with whole C:\
> and D:\ drive.
>
> If I use C:\ or D:\ then rest of the clients will also be
> backed up, which I don't want. Is it I have to create a
> new policy for specific requirements.

And what I'm telling you is that you _do_ want to just back up all
the C: and D: drives.  One policy, with all the clients, with one
selection list.  Trading backing up more than the minimum on those
drives is "cheaper" than managing a half dozen policies and their
different results, day in an day out.  Your brain should be occupied
in something more productive than trying to get backups onto one
less tape.

So, again, make one policy, put all the clients in it, put all the
drives (or all_local_drives) in the selection list and go on to
other things.

If you don't like that advice, then, yes, you need multiple poliies
any time that the Attributes, Schedules, Clients and Selections
_have_ to be different.  And, yes, there _are_ reasons to do that
but you haven't put forward any except "new requirement."    A
requirement to back up x and y on clientA and z on clientB can be
satisfied most easily with one policy that backs up x, y and z on
both clientA and clientB.  The selections need not exist on all
clients, as long as one selection (within each stream--should you
define them) exists.