Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master with multiple NIC's

2010-01-14 18:45:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master with multiple NIC's
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:45:12 -0700
Are you modifying the routing tables on the clients?

When used to do it with Data Protector/Omniback we found was that the master server on subnet A did route using network B to a subnet B client.  The problem was that the client looked at who the server was and got a subnet A IP address back.  That sent all the data from the client through the router.  We basically had to create a media server name on the master that was on subnet B.  Then the clients backed up through the correct subnet.

It seemed like when we tried to do this with Veritas (probably 5.1) it had the same behavior.

Thanks,

Jeff

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
I honestly don't know if its supported but we do this just using the
routing table. We've done this for years without issue.

On 1/14/10, A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:05:01PM +0100, WALLEBROEK Bart wrote:
>> Is it supported in NBU that a Solaris Master/Media has multiple NIC's for
>> backups of different clients on different networks ?
>
> Sure.
>
>> Master has 2 network interfaces.  Interface A goes to network A to backup
>> clients on network A;  Interface B goes to network B to backup clients on
>> network B.
>>
>> If it is supported how is this configured in NBU ?
>
> If your OS knows it is on both subnets, then the routing table will
> allow it to do that automatically.
>
>> The REQUIRED_INTERFACE option is to make sure that all NBU traffic
>> goes over the configured network interface but you can only configure
>> 1 interface.  Or am I wrong here.
>
> That can be used to override certain things, but as you note, it is a
> rather large hammer.  Better if you can avoid using it at all.  In your
> setup, it wouldn't seem to be necessary.
>
> --
> Darren

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator