Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] I inherited a mess.

2010-01-14 13:52:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] I inherited a mess.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:52:19 +0000
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:47:47AM -0500, Sagz wrote:

> I'm new to Netbackup.  Currently we have a 6.53 install with a Spectra Logic
> t950 robot with LTO-4 Drives and LTO-4 Media.  However there used to be a
> different server with LTO-3 drives and LTO-1-3 media and a different hostname
> and catalog this was decommissioned about 3 years ago.
>
> Now I have a couple requests to retrieve data off some of the LT0-1 media and
> the old catalog is no where to be found.

Ouch.  How many tapes?

Your only choices are to find an old catalog or to run 'bpimport' on
tapes until you find the images in question.

> I have an LTo-3 Drive but its standalone and won't integrate with the robot.

You can attach the drive to your media server as standalone, but for
this task where you might need to bpimport many tapes, the robot would
be *very* valuable.

How good is your relationship with your vendor?  LTO-3 drives for a
T950 must be pretty cheap these days.  Could you explain the situation
and get them to loan you a drive for a week or two?  Then you could
either partition the library and put that drive in and the LTO-1 tapes
in separate storage bins, or you bring up the drive as a different type
from the LTO4 ones (probably HCART3) and define the old volumes that way
as well.

--
Darren