Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu Digest, Vol 44, Issue 19

2009-12-18 20:51:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu Digest, Vol 44, Issue 19
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:50:59 -0600
The policy is multistream enabled, so each local drive and windows
special save directives get a job stream.

Here is an EG:

clients:
CNODE1
CNODE2
CVIRT1

policies:
CVIRT_full_win
Type:   MS-Windows
Backup Selections:
  Q:
  R:
Exclusions: None
Schedules:
  Full (Full)
  Daily (Differential/Inc)
Clients:
  CVIRT1

SYS_synth_win
Type: MS-Windows
Backup Selections:
  ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
Exclusions:
   CNODE1: Q:, R:
   CNODE2: Q:, R:
Schedules:
  Full (Full)
  Daily (Differential/Inc)
  Weekly (Full - Synthetic)
Clients:
  CNODE1
  CNODE2

Sequence of events:

Full schedule for SYS_synth_win runs and creates images for VSS
compontents, System State, C:
Q: and R: are not backed up, no errors..

Daily inc schedule runs and creates images for VSS compontents, System
State, C:
Q: and R: are not backed up, no errors.

Weekly schedule runs, the parent job spawns a job for each
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES regardless of the exclusions.
The cluster drives jobs all fail with a 671 since there are no images to
create the synthetic with.

I could build a policy for the cluster nodes local system backups that
doesn't use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, but that is going to be harder to manage,
and I would much rather use that directive wherever I can so that I
never see a case where we failed to backup a new local drive added some
time in the future and being overlooked for the backup policy.