Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] FA for NetBackup 7

2009-12-18 09:07:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] FA for NetBackup 7
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Scott Jacobson <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:07:44 -0600
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Scott Jacobson <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com> wrote:
Are you saying what seems to be "included" as with this upcoming release; an imbedded feature and it will still cost?

Yup.  The binaries are installed as part of the media server install.

Hmm, what else in v7.x will we look forward too with our wallet in hand.

This isn't the first and I don't see anything too badly wrong with the model (except the price!).  When you install a Windows client, you get the Advanced client functionality.   You need to purchase a license before you can actually use it.  There are parts of the master server install that also require add-on fees (vault, additional tape drives, ndmp, etc.)

Also, on this thread, de-dupe, works good, but not the solution for all systems - elaboration?

Some things de-dupe well and some things don't.  We get great de-dupe for our remote offices in PureDisk.  We evaluated de-dupe in our main office and got lousy de-dupe because we deal with different document types here (a LOT of tiffs).

If you're the type of shop that wants 10 or 20 copies of the same file backed up, then de-dupe might be for you.  If you have short retentions for unique data, de-dupe is not for you.  You need to carefully evaluate 1 or more of the de-dupe products to see how well it fits into your environment and then do the ROI - does it actually cost more to de-dupe it than to put the data to disk or tape?  If so, de-dupe might not be for you.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org
Contact Me Linkedin