Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6; tuning with multiplexing/multistreaming [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

2009-11-16 18:34:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6; tuning with multiplexing/multistreaming [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Wilkinson, Tim" <Tim.Wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:34:43 +1100

UNCLASSIFIED

I've been reading the various Symantec guides (admin guides, performance tuning guides) in regards to tuning NBU performance and would like to clarify a few things. I'm trying to get my throughput up to an appropriate speed to avoid shoe shining and also cut down my backup windows. We have 2 LTO3 drives (with LTO3 tapes, obviously).

There are 2 specific objectives I'm trying to achieve:
- send multiple jobs from a single policy to a single drive concurrently. I'm thinking 3 concurrent jobs should be fine initially. Once one of the clients finishes, another is added to the job.
- send multiple streams (e.g. 3 streams) from a SAN client to a single drive. Once one stream finishes, another is added to the job.

I've already got the Global Attribute of 'number of jobs per client' at 99 (I think it was set like this for MS-SQL backups) so this doesn't need to be configured. 'Maximum concurrent write drives' is set to 2 for storage units.

For the first objective, I think I need to change a few settings; 'Maximum streams per drive' on appropriate storage units (set to 3), 'Media multiplexing' (set to 3) on schedule in policy. Does this sound about right? Do I need to worry about 'Limit jobs per policy' setting?

The second objective is a bit more confusing. Is it simply a case of setting the same settings as the first objective (but on appropriate storage unit and policy), setting the streams in the backup selection tab on the policy and the 'Allow multiple data streams' setting on the policy.

I know to get the most out of this I'll need to tweak a few things to get ideal numbers for the settings but just trying to understand exactly which setting I need to configure for the things I'm trying to do.

Cheers,

Tim Wilkinson
I.T. Support Officer
Science Corporate Information Systems
Defence Science & Technology Organisation
Department of Defence

Tel: (02) 93810065
Fax: (02) 93810011

Email: tim.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.