Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up a VMWare host - Any tips ?

2009-11-12 16:36:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a VMWare host - Any tips ?
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:36:40 -0600

We are about to deploy VMware to a remote location where we will convert 4 or 5 physical windows hosts into a number of VM machines which will then reside on one physical client.

I have done some reading and it appears that NBU best practice calls for a VM proxy server to handle the backing up of the VMDK’s of the VM machines.  However, presenting shared storage between our NetBackup environment and this remote location is not an option.

What is the best way for us to back up these VM’s through NetBackup (6.5.4) other than installing a standard NBU client on them all which, in our minds, would do away with many of the advantages of running VMware in the first place ?

We have available enterprise client licenses for the VMware host (physical box) and our master server is currently backing up a number of Microsoft HyperV hosts which I believe uses some of the same snapshot technology that the VM machines will need to use.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Glazerman

Enterprise Storage Administrator

Spartech Corporation

Desk: 314-889-8282

Fax: 314-854-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com

http://www.spartech.com

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.