Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup - VCB Quick Q

2009-11-05 11:53:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup - VCB Quick Q
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr AT eclipsed DOT net>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:48:31 -0500
At 2009-11-05 09:19 -0000, WEAVER, Simon (external) <simon.weaver AT
astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:
> All
> Very quick Q....
> Anyone got VCB running, may be able to simply say "Yes" or "No"....
>
> When you backup physical hosts of VM to the VCB, are the files going
> direct to disk, or is the system configured to go direct to tape?
>
> Having something like 16TB's of VM's - I had kind of hoped it would go
> direct to TAPE, rather than VM -> Disk -> Tape?

No. With vSphere 4 (and NetBackup 7), you will be able to snapshot a
VM, pass it through a Windows media server, and directly to a
NetBackup staging unit, but with VCB and NetBackup 6.x, you must
snapshot the VM being backed up on the ESX server, perform a
complete copy of that VM to the proxy server's holding tank, after
which the snapshot on the ESX server is released and a backup
(including the comparisons for incrementals and so forth) is run
against the copy of the snapshot on the proxy.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr AT eclipsed DOT net