Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Odd problem with master server restore

2009-10-27 08:26:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Odd problem with master server restore
From: "Spearman, David" <spe08 AT co.henrico.va DOT us>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:22:30 -0400

Last week I posted a “help me” when our master server crashed. W2K3R2 enterprise with NBU 6.5.3. The folks out there helped us get rolling on the Hot Catalog restore which worked fine. However we came across another problem. The two obvious symptoms were error 42’s on backups, and when mapping a drive you would occasionally get an “out of system resources” message. My boss dug through the MS KB’s  and focused on memory management. When he looked at the key below

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

He found that the rebuilt server had the System Pages dword set to 0. On our media servers it was set to 798720 decimal. As soon as he hacked the registry the 42’s went away. I suspect this dword is supposed to be modified by NBU but don’t know for sure. Anyway, something to look out for. Thanks for everyone’s help.

David Spearman

County of Henrico, Va.