Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] MS SQL Agents

2009-10-23 14:58:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] MS SQL Agents
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:55:09 +0000
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 02:23:09PM -0400, Wilcox, Donald A (GE,
Research) wrote:

Doesn't appear to have anything to do with shared libraries, so I
changed the subject.

> All,
>   I am currently looking for info on backing up MS SQL boxes and wondered if
> the agent actually does any type of snapshotting or are there scripts that
> have to pause the database and then the backup begins?

It doesn't have to pause for the entire backup period.  The impact is
similar to doing a local SQL backup to disk while the database is up.

> We currently have local scripts in place that put the database in a
> mainteneance mode and copies data to a data directory.  Then the
> script starts up the database and our Netbackup server comes in and
> does a regular backup of the box, which includes the data directory.
> Why would I spend money for an agent when we get backups with this
> method?

You may not want to.  But there are features you get from the agent.

* Don't have to maintain local scripts.  They can break and people can
  forget about them.  I've been called in to places that had 4 months of
  "good" backups on tape that were worthless because the local script
  had been disabled and the files being backed up weren't current.

* DBA visibility of backups, ability to restore directly.  Don't have to
  do a file restore followed by a DB restore.  DBA can easily tell which
  tape backup has what data on it.

* No local storage required for a second copy.  Can roll straight to
  your media device.

* Agent can tie into other NBU features like Advanced/Snapshot client
  for low I/O impact of backup and fast restores.

I'm sure there are other features that assist DBAs more than backup
admins like me.

--
Darren