Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Converting stand-alone Master to clustered Master

2009-10-17 09:23:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Converting stand-alone Master to clustered Master
From: tsimerson <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:19:51 -0400
Mark,

Don't know anything about clustering master servers, I'll put in my two cents
worth on the master server migration.

Since you're going to a *nix to a *nix environment, you should be able to
simply do a disaster recovery type restore of NetBackup.  The process is pretty
much like this:  install NBU from scratch on the new server, configure it
enough to get a library or tape drive working and then do a full catalog
restore.  Since the EMM database backup is simply a dump of the data, the
restore process will over come any binary level data differences that might
exist between the two flavors of UNIX.  And the images catalog is still the
same format of flat and binary files in a nested directory structure.

The only gotcha I can see here is the host name.  You'll need to setup the new
server with the exact same host name which means isolating it from your regular
network.

I'd be curious to see how this works for you.  I'm actually considering the
same thing (going from an AIX environment to Linux).