Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN, Veritas - Correlating Media ID after tape vaulted

2009-10-15 08:48:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN, Veritas - Correlating Media ID after tape vaulted
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:43:35 +0100
I've written a couple of scripts to help with this, which would work I
think for both Vaulting and other duplications like SLPs.  We found that
with D2D2T using AdvancedDisk staging, RMAN thinks the backup is on
something like @aaaa6.   Restores work if the tape it is actually on is
still onsite, otherwise you will get an operator request.  RMAN crosscheck
does not update the actual media location, it just checks that NetBackup
knows about the image and it is not expired.

You can use bplist and bpimagelist on the Master Server to get the
information.  This uses the way RMAN builds SBT filenames by default e.g.
<SID>_0910061317_online_bk_18_1_699542336 (if you customise them, you may
need to adapt it).  These start with the SID so for bplist we are looking
for files apparently top-level from the client named /SID*.

So here is a script that can be run on the Master Server to list the media
for one 'handle', e.g. /<SID>_0910061317_online_bk_18_1_699542336

# cat find_rman_media.ksh
#!/bin/ksh
strClient="$1"
strFile="$2"
strBackupID=$1_`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C $1 -Listpolicy
-Listseconds -t 4 $2 | awk '{print $14}'`
echo "Media required to restore client $1 backup set handle $2"
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist  -media -l -option
COMPLETE_COPIES -backupid $strBackupID | \
awk '/FRAG/ {print $9}'

and here is one to do it for all the backups known about for a database:

# cat find_all_rman_media.ksh
#!/bin/ksh
strClient="$1"
strDbSID="$2"
handles=`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C $strClient -t 4 "/$strDbSID*"
`
for handle in $handles
{
  strBackupID=${strClient}_`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C $1
-Listpolicy -Listseconds -t 4 $handle | awk '{print $14}'`
  echo "Media required to restore client $strClient backup set handle
$handle"
  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist  -media -l -option
COMPLETE_COPIES -backupid $strBackupID | \
  awk '/FRAG/ {print $9}'
}
echo "-- End of Output --"

You could adapt the latter to list for just the last 48 hours and run
using cron every 24 hours, and e-mail it somewhere that you can access for
DR.

Supplied without any warranty!

William D L Brown

"David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
24-Sep-2009 21:38

"veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn
DOT edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN, Veritas - Correlating Media ID after tape vaulted

Running 6.5.3.1 on Solaris Master/Media servers.
We backup to a VTL, and duplicate to tape using SLP - we have had no
issues restoring from either VTL or tape.
RMAN asks NetBackup for the image, and as long as NetBackup knows where it
is, (i.e. where is primary copy) it restores fine.

>Message: 5
>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:20:32 +0100
>From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
>Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN, Veritas - Correlating Media ID after tape
vaulted
>To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
>
>On a similar track, has anyone experience of using staging disk (not
DSSU) with lifecycle policies with RMAN?

> The question I'm trying to answer (about to test) is that if the backup
phase of the SLP is to a disk STU, the backint will report to RMAN where
the backup has landed on disk.

>The duplication stage then puts that onto a tape, but RMAN will not be
told (I assume) what the media ID is.

>If a restore was requested from the agent, that I suspect is fine as
NetBackup will look in the catalog for where the primary copy is, and then
pop up an operator request for the tape (that assumes that [a] we expired
the disk image and [b] the tape is offsite).

>Our current practice is not to submit the restore request until we know
the media are loaded, and the list of media to request to be brought back
to site comes from the RMAN catalog.

>We suspect that is going to stop working.  Has anyone seen this problem,
solved this problem, or found a way to avoid it?