Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "Orphaned" scratch tapes

2009-10-12 10:12:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "Orphaned" scratch tapes
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: scott.george AT parker DOT com
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:09:14 -0500
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 8:03 AM, <scott.george AT parker DOT com> wrote:
Being the curious person that I am, I ran some commands to figure out what
we had coming back, what were already in the library, and others that fell
into neither category.  I verified the first two numbers with my operator
on duty, and was thoroughly astonished by the third number, which ended up
being over 900 tapes, some of which haven't been mounted since January
2007.  I produced a list of these "orphaned" tapes for my operator, and he
recalled them from offsite.  It turned out to be a good list.

My question is, has anybody experienced a problem with vaulting that tapes
are not being recalled properly when they expire?  If so, how did you
address it.  My "solution" is to produce an orphan list at a certain
interval to recall these tapes, but I would like to get to the bottom of
the issue and put it to rest.

Yes, we've seen this.  I'm not sure if there was a bug in NetBackup a while ago (or still there) or issues with our procedures.

Every now and then, we'll run a report from Iron Mountain looking for tapes with infinite or no expiration dates, recall them, and then revault to get a good date on them.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org