Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP VTL direct copy

2009-09-21 15:12:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP VTL direct copy
From: Alexander Leikin <Alexander.Leikin AT loblaw DOT ca>
To: "A Darren Dunham" <ddunham AT taos DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:07:10 -0400
Hi Darren,

Thanks for your response.
Actually I am looking for documentation how to setup robots, storage
units having VTL with NDMP option turned on and physical library.
So far I created NDMP hosts with proper authorization.
I have Media Server which can access both VTL and PHL and NDMP software
option installed on it.
We can use non-NDMP duplication just by mounting vtl and phl on the same
Media Server and use vault or bpduplicate, but we would like to use NDMP
to move load off the Media Server to VTL itself.
I created NDMP storage Units and if I run tpconfig -d
on the Media Server I am getting 3 instances of drives as follow:

26  Q9SL3K01_d8          hcart3 TLD(0)  DRIVE=8
      /dev/rmt8.1                                                      UP
      /dev/scsi/sequential/c4t9d0 (vtl01a)                             UP
      /dev/scsi/sequential/c24t9d0 (vtl01b)                            UP

One entry for locally connected Drive and two for NDMP hosts vtl01a and vtl01a.

Symantec documentation says the follow and I cannot understand what it means:

3 Configure the VTL as a robot, then configure one or more tape drives in a
Media Manager storage unit. You can use the NetBackup Device Configuration
wizard. Or, refer to the NetBackup Administrator's Guide Volume I for help
configuring devices and Media Manager storage units.
4 Configure one or more tape drives in the VTL as Network Attached Storage
devices, and create one or more NDMP storage units for the drives. Refer to
"Adding a drive" on page 41 and "Adding NDMP storage units" on page 44 for
procedures. The drives may be the same as those that were selected for step 3.
NetBackup supports sharing of drives among media servers and NDMP hosts.
5 Configure one or more NDMP tape drives in the physical tape library, and add
the drives to NDMP storage units. Use the same procedures as those mentioned in
step 4. You may also use these drives in Media Manager storage units, if they
are shared on SAN.

I have read it many times, but was unable to understand what exactly it means.

Thanks,

Alexander Leikin
Techniacal Services - Loblaw Companies Limited
320 Matheson Boulevard W , Mississauga, ON L5R 3R1
Tel:  416-569-7782 E-mail: Alexander.Leikin AT loblaw DOT ca