Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] More Netbackup and VCB questions

2009-09-16 18:52:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] More Netbackup and VCB questions
From: fishvict <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:20:59 -0400
We have Netbackup Enterprise 6.5.4.  Using VCB to backup our VMware
infrastructure (ESX 4, vCenter 4).

We're using a Flashbackup-Windows, 0-file, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES policy to backup
our VMware guests.  The odd thing we're encountering is that no matter what we
do, Netbackup is scanning through the whole disk.  For a particular guest,
there is a 1TB VMDK, but there is currently only about 100GB of data on the
VMDK.  We see it get through the 100GB in record time, but then it just keeps
going until it gets through the whole disk.

Is this normal?  Is there a setting somewhere we're missing?  Hopefully someone
else has seen this.

if we switch to a MS-Windows-NT policy, we don't get the throughput we need to
complete backups in our window.

Thanks.