Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog Consistency and VTL Replication

2009-09-09 09:16:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Consistency and VTL Replication
From: "Matt Ungaro" <Matt.Ungaro AT absglobal DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:13:29 -0500
Hello Backup gurus,

I am looking to implement for my company the following scenario:
2 HP VSL6636 VTL devices, 1 at Production, 1 at DR.
1 HP MSL4048 at Production (Strictly for monthly archival purposes)
1 HP MSL2024 at DR (To backup the catalog and for periodic restores)

Using Netbackup 6.5.3. Master/Media server at DR, Media server at
production. Multiple SAN media servers at production.

The big question is, the VSL6636 is a deduplicating VTL, and can do
replication between multiple units, sending only the deduplicated data.
The goal would be to backup production to the VSL at Prod, use the
devices replication features to replicate the virtual tapes to DR. Once
a month, use the VTL's auto-migration feature to move a clone of the
last full backup of all systems to a tape, to be taken offsite. I have
not worked with Vault before, but as part of Symantec's new terabyte
licensing model we will have vault licensed. My understanding of vault
is, it can manage tapes that have been taken out of the library for
extended periods of time, but can I use Vault to tell the catalog that
the tapes have been duplicated from the library at production to the
library at DR, without Netbackup performing the duplication? And can I
do the same for the tapes that are auto-migrated from the VSL to the MSL
once a month? In the past, I've written a series of VBscripts to perform
some of the same functionality of vault, as I understand it. Basically I
managed what tapes were going offsite and what needed to be recalled
from offsite storage. But my worry here is that by letting the hardware
do the replication, it will be difficult to keep the Netbackup catalog
up to date with what virtual tapes are at production, and what tapes are
at DR. As a side note, not all data will be replicated to DR, or sent to
tape for offsite storage. Test/dev systems will have a shorter retention
time, thus will be in a different tape pool.

Any assistance is much appreciated. I have vendors trying to find the
answers for me, but I would love to hear from people that actually use
this kind of technology. It's my first venture into virtual tape and
replication for DR. Thank you in advance!

Matt

** The information contained in this communication may
be confidential, is intended only for the use of the
recipient(s) named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any
of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please return it
to the sender immediately and delete the original message
and any copy of it from your computer system. If you have
any questions concerning this message, please contact the
sender. **