Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes

2009-09-03 16:38:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:35:10 -0500

Scalar 1000's were/are notorious for this. Also the dreaded "Dropped Cartridge" error where the entire library stops functioning because it thought it dropped a cart when nothing is wrong.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

09/03/2009 01:49 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes

On Thursday 03 September 2009 10:19:50 am Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I concur - I've seen more frozen tapes due to drive/robot failures than
> due to any intrinsic fault in the tape itself.

One peculiar thing that happens to us (at least twice a year) with our old
ADIC Scalar 1000:

- Monday morning I'll go and check Netbackup Admin Console and see hundreds of
failed jobs...The reason:  insufficient media.

- I then check the Scratch volume pool and indeed there is  no media! (when
there was plenty).

- I notice there are now LOTS of tapes marked as 'FROZEN" ( This can't be...)

To make the long story short, it turns out the library's gripper has a tape
stuck in it...and being unable to grab a tape from the slot, Netbackup marks
it as "FROZEN" after "x" retries.  Then it proceeds with the next available
tape from the Scratch pool and the story repeats...You can imagine.

Best regards,
Jorge