Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes

2009-09-03 14:52:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes
From: Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:49:06 -0400
On Thursday 03 September 2009 10:19:50 am Jeff Lightner wrote:
> I concur - I've seen more frozen tapes due to drive/robot failures than
> due to any intrinsic fault in the tape itself.

One peculiar thing that happens to us (at least twice a year) with our old
ADIC Scalar 1000:

- Monday morning I'll go and check Netbackup Admin Console and see hundreds of
failed jobs...The reason:  insufficient media.

- I then check the Scratch volume pool and indeed there is  no media! (when
there was plenty).

- I notice there are now LOTS of tapes marked as 'FROZEN" ( This can't be...)

To make the long story short, it turns out the library's gripper has a tape
stuck in it...and being unable to grab a tape from the slot, Netbackup marks
it as "FROZEN" after "x" retries.  Then it proceeds with the next available
tape from the Scratch pool and the story repeats...You can imagine.

Best regards,
Jorge