Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes

2009-09-03 10:31:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frozen Tapes
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:26:08 -0500
1)  if you have netbackup set up to overwrite a tape that has other
types of data on it, it will use it and not freeze it.  Depend on what
your settings are
2) yes it does not like to over write catalogs that is why your cat
tapes are in a different pool  and should always return to that pool so
you don't have this issue
3) again yes

But you missed one
4) if the tape is write protected and it picks it for a backup, loads it
in the drive and sees that it is write protected it will freeze the
tape.  This does not mean that the tape is bad.  This happens to me some
times if I am doing a restore and it is still running when I go home for
the night.  The restore could finish and the backups could the choose it
for a restore.  When I remember this I will try to suspend the tape
before I go home to it will not choose it and freeze it.  So whenever I
do get notice of a frozen tape I check to see if it was write protected
for a restore before I tag the tape as bad.