Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can Backup Exec read Netbackup?

2009-08-27 20:26:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can Backup Exec read Netbackup?
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <rgrasso AT bidmc.harvard DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:23:22 -0400
You are going to need mt to control the tape drive, and I recommend mtx to control your library if you are using one. (I'm not going to cover mtx here.) Both are available via yum for Linux.  At one point I had this working on an old Solaris 2.6(?) server running NBU 4.5 but I didn't document the procedure then so there might be subtle differences.  This was recently tested on a CentOS 5.3 Linux server with a Quantum M1500 library with SDLT220 media. I'm having to import hundreds of old media and we're using this to read images that don't complete the catalog import successfully.  Just a quick disclaimer, I haven't tested this completely.  For example, if you are writing a large file and you get to the end of the media, I'm assuming Netbackup continues that file on the next media but I'm not certain that this procedure would recover that file in its original format. Also, there is the mangled file issue (covered below.)

Substitute /dev/nst0 for whatever your tape device is.

Use mtx or manually load the media
mt ?f /dev/nst0 rewind (rewind the media)
mt ?f /dev/nst0 fsr 1 (fast forward to the media header)
mt ?f /dev/nst0 fsf  (move one block past the tape header, tar will error if you try to read the media header)
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/tar ?xvf /dev/nst0  (Extract data in this image / might want to redirect output to suitable location)
mt ?f /dev/nst0 fsr 1 (fast forward to the next image)
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/tar ?xvf /dev/nst0  (extract the data)

Keep repeating the mt -f fsr1 and tar commands until you get an error about being at the end of the media.
mt ?f /dev/nst0 rewind (rewind the media)
Use mtx or manually unload the media

After restoring an image you may files with the following filename pattern: @@MaNgLeD.#### .  These files are files that we're backed up with paths longer than 100 characters.  Normally, you should also get a @@MaNgLeD.####_rename file that tells you where the @@MaNgLeD.#### file came from and what it should be named to but we've found numerous instances where the @@MaNgLeD.####_rename file isn't recovered.  Symantec Tech Support suggested that some versions of Netbackup may have appended the path name to the file itself, but we haven't found this to be the case.  They have also suggested that this could be a sign of a corrupt tar image. The nature of my current project is such that I need the file data most / original name and location are not mission critical and since Symantec has already given this to backline support and that's all they've got on the subject, I don't know that we're going to look into this much further.

Finally, credit where credit is due, two guys on our team here spent more time battling bad media, stuck tapes and Symantec tech support to figure this out than I did and their names are Tim and JR.

-Jonathan