Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] run a script on the Master any time a backup[...]

2009-08-25 02:54:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] run a script on the Master any time a backup[...]
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:51:23 -0400
> > > Need to run a script on the Master server when each
> > > backup job starts. I tried "parent_start_notify" and
> > > found that it only runs for policies that have "Allow
> > > Multiple Data Streams" checked.
> > > It seems to me that there should be some script that
> > > can be run reliably on the master every time a backup
> > > runs...  Any suggestions?
> >
> > Are you looking at the Veritas NetBackup Administrator's
> > Guide, Vol II, NetBackup notify scripts chapter?
> > backup_[exit_]notify runs on the media server for each
> > backup.

> Thnaks. I'm looking in NBU 6.5 Administrators Guide for
> Unix Volume 2:
>
> *The backup_exit_notify script runs on the master server.
> It is called to perform site-specific processing when an
> individual backup completes.*

I confused the issue by trying to show the complementary
backup_notify and backup_exit_notify in the same sentence.  Look
again at 6.5 Admin II on page 173; backup_notify runs on the media
server and backup_exit_notify on the master.  So, yes:

> But what I need is a backup_start_notify* *script that
> runs on the Master when my backup job starts.  As far
> as I can tell, such a script does not exist.

Is backup_notify on the media server not helpful for your
requirement?