Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] transition from LTOX to LTOY

2009-08-24 14:47:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] transition from LTOX to LTOY
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:44:11 -0400
If you ARE thinking of copying old tape to new tapes - here are some thoughts!

1. if your old tapes are multiplexed you might want to look into copying them
to a disk or VTL then to a tape, since the shoe shining you experience is
horrible if you try to copy tape to tape, unless you keep the multiplexing.

2. I am copying some backups from 2006 (~ 3 years old), and experiencing some
increased failure rates, as well as drive issues with these tapes that have sat
at iron mountain for 3 years.

3. Plan on it taking some time! AND those drives not being available during
that time!