Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Difference b/w NB5.1 and the latest version

2009-08-13 18:28:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Difference b/w NB5.1 and the latest version
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:25:00 +1000
Like Ed said, there are a heap of differences. Here are some, which might give you some references to read up on in the manuals. There's way too much to type up in detail in an email :

- Media Manager has been completely replaced by EMM
- Media Sharing between media servers
- SAN Client and Fibre Transport
- BMR is now included with the base client
- Disk storage unit sharing - Advanced Disk
- Proper "hot" catalog backups and incremental catalog backups
- Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Improvements to Storage Unit Groups
- Live Update
- VNETD is now used by default (I think?)
- The way you setup "virtual storage units" in a clustered environment is completely different. It took me ages to find this, but this mailing list helped, and I keep repeating it here for people who might be searching in future. It's in the High Availability guide, in the Advanced Configuration section (I think - sorry, don't have access to the manuals right now)

And one of the simplest enhancements, which has been of GREAT benefit to my colleagues :
- You can now see a tape's expiration date in the media reports generated by the GUI

Cheers,
Dean