Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5.3 E-Mail Question

2009-07-31 13:11:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5.3 E-Mail Question
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, malhovic wrote:

> I am currently running NetBackup 6.5.3 within my server environment.
>
> I have Netbackup setup to e-mail me once it completes a backup so that when I
> get to work in the morning I can see if there were any problems with the
> backups from simply looking at my e-mail.
>
> Here is my current configuration of the nbmail.cmd applet&#058;
> @IF "%~4"=="" &#40;
> sendEmail -f &#91;my e-mail address&#93; -t %1 -u %2 -o message-file=%3 -s
> &#91;exchange ip&#93; -l E&#58;\sendEmail_log.txt
> &#41; ELSE &#40;
> sendEmail -f &#91;my e-mail address&#93; -t %1 -u %2 -o message-file=%3 -a %4
> -s &#91;exchangeip&#93; -l E&#58;\sendEmail_log.txt
> &#41;
>
> Instead of using Blat for the mail SMTP application, I use sendEmail
> (http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/) as I feel it is a bit
> more robust and I don't have the issues with it that I had with Blat on my
> old exchange server...basically just a preference thing at this point...but I
> digress.
>
> Here is an example e-mail that I receive from the Netbackup system after a
> backup completes:
>
> Backup E-Mail wrote:
>> Subject:
>> Backup on [servername] - 0
>> Contents:
>> Backup on client [servername] for user root by server [backupservername]
>> succeeded.
>>
>> Policy = [servername policy]
>> Schedule = Daily_Incremental
>>
>> File list
>> ---------
>> ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
>

> Now with that information, I was wondering...is there a way for me to include
> the Tape Number/Media ID (ie, barcode) within the e-mail when it is sent out
> so that I know which backups used which media?
>
> I have looked around on the internet as well as your website and just can't
> seem to find this solution so I am sorry if I skipped over something that
> already exists.  Currently I have to log onto the backup server and go
> through the Netbackup Admin Console and look through each job to know which
> tapes were used under which policies.
>
> What I am looking to do in the end result is document which tapes were used
> for which backups so that I can take the tapes out of the library each day
> and store them in a safe during their "cool down" period which is specified
> through the retention setting under the Backup Policy. If you have a better
> method than doing this through e-mail, I am definitely open to ideas.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -Terry-

You can try checking bpdbjobs -all_columns and grepping for the job_id
then parsing out the tapes that way.  That is what first comes to mind.
Not sure if there is an easier way.

If you are looking for tapes with errors, on the master, goto:
openv/netbackup/db/error

Check the file from today for errors or mount problems.

If you just want to know what tapes are used(written) for a period of time
so you can remove them, the tapes written report does that, there is also
a command, bpimagelist for a date period should also show that.

Justin.