Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5.3 E-Mail Question

2009-07-31 12:56:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5.3 E-Mail Question
From: malhovic <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:10:56 -0400
I am currently running NetBackup 6.5.3 within my server environment.

I have Netbackup setup to e-mail me once it completes a backup so that when I
get to work in the morning I can see if there were any problems with the
backups from simply looking at my e-mail.

Here is my current configuration of the nbmail.cmd applet&#058;
@IF "%~4"=="" &#40;
sendEmail -f &#91;my e-mail address&#93; -t %1 -u %2 -o message-file=%3 -s
&#91;exchange ip&#93; -l E&#58;\sendEmail_log.txt
&#41; ELSE &#40;
sendEmail -f &#91;my e-mail address&#93; -t %1 -u %2 -o message-file=%3 -a %4
-s &#91;exchangeip&#93; -l E&#58;\sendEmail_log.txt
&#41;

Instead of using Blat for the mail SMTP application, I use sendEmail
(http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/) as I feel it is a bit
more robust and I don't have the issues with it that I had with Blat on my old
exchange server...basically just a preference thing at this point...but I
digress.

Here is an example e-mail that I receive from the Netbackup system after a
backup completes:

Backup E-Mail wrote:
> Subject:
> Backup on [servername] - 0
> Contents:
> Backup on client [servername] for user root by server [backupservername]
> succeeded.
>
> Policy = [servername policy]
> Schedule = Daily_Incremental
>
> File list
> ---------
> ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Now with that information, I was wondering...is there a way for me to include
the Tape Number/Media ID (ie, barcode) within the e-mail when it is sent out so
that I know which backups used which media?

I have looked around on the internet as well as your website and just can't
seem to find this solution so I am sorry if I skipped over something that
already exists.  Currently I have to log onto the backup server and go through
the Netbackup Admin Console and look through each job to know which tapes were
used under which policies.

What I am looking to do in the end result is document which tapes were used for
which backups so that I can take the tapes out of the library each day and
store them in a safe during their "cool down" period which is specified through
the retention setting under the Backup Policy. If you have a better method than
doing this through e-mail, I am definitely open to ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Terry-