Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Removing DSU data files.

2009-07-17 11:39:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Removing DSU data files.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:36:10 +0000
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:03:08AM -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > I've run some image cleanup jobs and none of them appeared to touch the
> > files either.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?  How can I get the files to go away when the
> > image expires?
>
> They do go away but the process is asynchronous.  Once you've done the
> bpexpdate, the image cleanup will get triggered.  Fire up the activity
> monitor and you can see the "Image Cleanup" jobs that run.

Yes, this was pretty much just a test.  Nothing ran overnight except a
hot catalog backup and some image cleanup jobs  I also tried firing one
off manually.

> Depending on how busy your master and media servers are, and how big those
> images are, it can take a bit of time to do the cleanups but they should
> happen.  You can manually trigger them, but if they're not happening
> automatically, you've got a bug somewhere.

I'd like to be able to force it to ensure it's gone at a particular
point in time.  I do see that an image cleanup runs immedately after my
bpexpdate.

> You can confirm that the image really has expired in the catalog with a
> `bpimagelist -backupid <backupid> command and search for the FRAG lines.

Right.  The entire image is gone from the catalog.

I just tried another two expirations.  One of the images was deleted
immedately.  The second is still present, even after runing cleanups
manually.  :-( I am most definitely not using '-nodelete' on the
expiration command line.

Now I'm confused.

--
Darren