Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics

2009-07-10 17:52:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:49:42 -0500

I use iostat -xzn #, where -x shows disk, -z omits devices doing nothing (having all 0's) and -n shows names of the devices.
Tapes are included in this output, but this is for Solaris.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

07/10/2009 09:56 AM

Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Tape Drive Statistics

Hello group,

I am trying to performance tune a new library I installed. I have the
performance tuning guide and I'm looking at my data path. I currently
have statistics on my tape drive (from the libraries point of view),
stats from my SAN switch, and stats from my LAN. I'm watching iostat for
the disk that I'm writing to, but I'd like to see the performance of my
tape drive from my Master server's point of view. I don't believe iostat
accepts tape drives. How do you measure tape drives statistics in
Unix/Linux (specifically RHEL).

On a side note, I'm reading up on how to tune SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS. If I'm watching statistics in real time for my
performance tuning backups and restores, can I change these values in
real time without having to restart Netbackup (or any of my
master/media/clients) and see the results take affect, or do I have to
restart services for the new values to take effect? Anyone have tips on
how to tune these values?

Thank you.

- Heathe Kyle Yeakley