Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue

2009-07-01 11:00:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:58:23 -0500
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 7:26 AM, Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net> wrote:
I'm guessing this is the case that because this is an IDS monitoring box
the directories and files on that volume are constantly in use. I
suppose then the raw backup will never work?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance with windows clients but isn't VSP
installed with the client software or do i need to install it
separately? I can't recall seeing it on the windows cd i have.

VSP is an optional, but default, component of the older clients.  Check for VSP.SYS (in system32\drivers if I remember correctly) to see if it was installed.   VSP is evil but back on Windows 2000, I don't think you have a choice.

raw backup will work.  You need to define a separate cache volume for FlashBackup and it needs to be large enough to handle all of the changed blocks while the volume is being backed up.  It needs to be a minimum, I think, of 300MB.  How large after that is totally dependent on the volume of writes.

There is a separate document that discusses using the Advanced Client.  Read and understand it.

We back up active volumes with tens of millions of them all the time.  Luckily for us, they're not very active.

FlashBackup has also been significantly improved over the years.  Because you're running very old software, you could be running into issues that have since been fixed.  If your business allows it, try to get to a supported configuration on both the master and media servers,and then the clients, especially those using special agents like this one.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org