Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO Option for LTO3 drives

2009-07-01 02:40:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO Option for LTO3 drives
From: Jayles <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:36:57 -0400

mdonaldson wrote:

> This isn't the case.  SSO is used to share a single tape drive among
> multiple media servers. It's the sharing & locking mechanism for device
> sharing.  I could have zoned my 20 drives, one each, to my 19 media
> servers and not needed SSO.  What Judy describes is right, though, if I
> lose the drive zoned to that server, it's not doing backups until that
> drive is repaired.
>
> If you've got SSO licensed, I suggest zoning all tape drives to all
> media servers (careful - you have to name them correctly via tpconfig or
> it doesn't work right).  You can them limit the number of drives used by
> each media server when the backup occurs via the max-drives setting I
> the storage unit (as Judy also said).
>
> -M

What you mentioned is correct.... I sell SSO to my customer too....

In his scenario, suggest to review the whole backup infra, the Share Storage
Option is not cheap and do not waste money to purchase if no requirement.

Review the infra specially with the resources of the tape drives, then review
your backup window. I believe there might be alot of redunacy.

Good luck mate!
Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu