Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 2 Masters and only 1 tape library - DR Exercise

2009-06-30 14:14:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 2 Masters and only 1 tape library - DR Exercise
From: Cris Rhea <crhea AT mayo DOT edu>
To: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:11:01 -0500
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:38:04AM -0600, Donaldson, Mark wrote:
> ACSLS, though, would fall into the category of "using another software
> package as an interface".  I suspected ACSLS could do that but didn't
> want volunteer that since I don't have firsthand knowledge of it.

FYI--

If you use one of the large STK (now Sun) tape silos, you *have* to use
ACSLS-- it's not really an "extra".  It's part of the silo control system
and how any product (e.g., Netbackup, HSM, etc.) requests tape
mounts/dismounts.

These silos have a Data Path (how your system connects to the back of a
tape drive for data transfer) and a Control Path (how your system requests
robotic tape-handling actions).

A Sun/STK SL8500 can also be hard-partitioned into 4 LSMs (ties a physical
group of tape slots with a physical set of drives).

At our site, we probably have 10+ separate systems sharing a single
SL8500 silo (with a single ACSLS interface). Trivial in Netbackup (just
don't tell it about anybody else's tapes).

systems "own" any given tape.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea
 Mayo Clinic - Research Computing Facility