Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue

2009-06-30 11:14:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Million file backup issue
From: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:11:22 +0100
Running Netbackup 5.0Mp7 on Solaris 9 Master server.

10 odd network based clients some windows2000, 2003 and Solaris 8,9

We are having trouble with one Windows 2000 server running Envision IDS
software which creates millions of files under a directory.
f:\nic\lsnode has 87gb data with 1.4million files. Luckily the directory
is on a separate drive than the OS so there are options (hopefully).

We currently can't get a backup as it fails with Status 14 or other issues.

I'm asking for advise from windows side as i'm a Unix/Solaris engineer.

I'm guessing i need to do some image type backup with flash or snap but
i dont have the advanced client license and as i'm on v5 i dont see how
i can get one.

I've currently tried following this :-
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275912.htm
and putting /\\.\F: in the file list for a new policy with the problem
client to do raw backup.

However i get a Status1 and get the following error :-

WRN - can't lock raw device for read: \\.\F: (F:) (Win32 5: Access is
denied. )

I'm not sure why that is.

Also i have not got any settings on the Client properties under VSP. I
dont have a cache file volume list or Cache File Size parameters other
than default. Should i be changing anything here?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers