Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Catalog Location

2009-06-24 10:30:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Catalog Location
From: waynecierkowski <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:27:01 -0400

WEAVER, Simon \(extern... wrote:
> Actually, you mean you would have to either use bprecover (assuming you
> know the media ID) or ..... IMPORT the tapes needed before doing it !!!
>
> I know a company that went down this route..... and after I left......
> well the array blew away and no one was monitoring the catalog
> backups.... and no one knew what to do !
>
> Oh dear !
>
> Simon

I actually know the media number of all of my catalog backups from all my
sites.

My custom programs that run our backups/duplications (Including the Hot Catalog
backup) generate emails which shows both in library media of the catalog and
off-site media number. It also shows the disk based DR catalog image that is
generated.

I even go down to what commands need to be executed to perform a BPRecover of
the catalog so even management would be able to recover the NB catalog.

The email is also replecated to other sites within our enterprise as a text
file so I can get it even is exchange is down..

As an old mainframe guy, I never forget the CYA method of doing things...