Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Catalog Location

2009-06-24 08:12:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Catalog Location
From: waynecierkowski <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:09:37 -0400

Bluejay wrote:

> > Is there a way that I can re-locate the
> > catalog to a SAN attached drive on my master? My current catalog is
> > 165 GB's in size.
> >

> Be wary of having your catalog in the same place as the data that you're
> backing up. If you loose your storage array, you'll have to first recover
> that 165gb before you can begin recovering anything else.
>
> - Bluejay Adametz
>
> How come our saddest sadness comes from what were our most joyous joys?
> - Ziggy

Understood... I keep telling my management why not give me a 1 TB mirrored
drive in my backup master since disk is so cheap now a days.. Heck I'm running
1 and 2 TB drives at home in my NAS units with Raid 5. Even some of my home
systems have mirrored 1 TB drives for the OS..

Right now we are constaintly trying to delete logs and other non-critical data
from the Master just to get through a Weekend Full backup. When you are
addresing close to 19 TB's on a weekend and then duplicating that same 19 TB's
the catalog is going to get bigger...