Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] MSEO and normal backups to same media

2009-06-18 09:37:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] MSEO and normal backups to same media
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:31:49 +0100
I'm sure it says in the manual that you can mix MSEO and non-MSEO on a
single tape.  You may think that is going to create a problem as you'll
have to treat all your media as if it contains encrypted data.  I know the
idea of encryption is so you don't lose data when you lose media, but it's
nice to know which tapes are which.

You do have to reduce the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS to allow for the MSEO headers,
so all backups from that Media Server will have slightly short blocks,
which will affect the throughput just because less data is written in each
block.   I don't think we have any comparison figures, as we don't ever
send the same data encrypted and non-encrypted.  There wasn't a lot of
choice!

When we get time we are going to look at LTO4 encryption, which I think
will be neater.  MSEO is quite easy to accidentally turn off without
noticing.