Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up cluster after failover

2009-06-12 12:18:25
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up cluster after failover
From: Robin Small <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:15:14 -0700
I think you mentioned database cluster in an earlier post?

here's how I have my sql cluster set up:

physical node hostnames:
sql1 (192.168.0.1)
sql2 (192.168.0.2)

cluster node hostname:
sqlclus (192.168.0.3)

I have two policies for my sql cluster (well, *I* have more than two, but for
the purpose of this example, it's two):
WindowsOS-ClusterNodes
        contains ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for sql1 & sql2

SQLCluster
        contains FULL SQL backup for sqlclus (runs that feature-rich BCH file)

On SQL1 and SQL2, I have the excludes set for every drive but C for my
"WindowsOS-ClusterNodes" policy, so the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive won't grab
the sql data volumes (all drives > C).

Of course, if someone puts a file on one of the drives other than C, it won't
get backed up, but you do avoid the partial backup errors resulting from trying
to file-level-backup locked sql db files.

If you're running it all on C, you could do the same with a path-based exclude
instead of a drive-based one.

I have this same kind of procedure running with Enterprise Vault and with
Windows File Server clusters (get system data only with one clusternode policy
that points to the physical nodes, get clustered data with another that points
to the clustered hostname).

Hopefully that made sense..

~ Robin